Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Sunday
Last night was a little rough for all of us. Sofia was cranky and none of us slept very well, but things are improving slowly. When she is awake and ready to play Sofia is so much fun. When she has to go to bed or when she wakes up she can be very cranky. I'm sure anyone that has dealt with a toddler can sympathize.
Yesterday we went down town and did some shopping. I brought with me my only pair of jeans and they are falling apart so I bought some new jeans. Then we bought Sofia a new pair of dress shoes. Sofia loved buying new shoes and coupled with the fact that one of her other favorite things to do is play with my wallet, daddy is a bit apprehensive about Sofia the teenager.
I'm getting used to the money here a little now. $50,000 pesos is roughly $20. dollars. So at first it's a little disconcerting to spend $24,000 of anything on dinner, clothes etc. but when I realize that dinner for the three of us only cost about $12 dollars American its not so bad.
Today I did a bit of walking around on my own while Erin fed Sofia lunch and put her down for a nap. I wish Erin could have some more free time (or time to shower, sleep or get dressed without Sofia clinging to her) but in time I'm sure it will work out.
Yesterday in the plaza an old lady came up to me with a wad of pesos in her hand. She started to yammer at me while showing me the wad of bills and making hand gestures. Erin and Sofia were off aways looking at other things so I just listened to her rant. I couldn't understand anything she said and I didn't even have the chance to say "No Espanol"
but I doubt it mattered to her. At home in Oshkosh we have some of the most extensive mental health facilities in the state, and people talking to themselves, ranting on the government or UFOs is fairly common place so it felt like a bit of home.
The T.V. here is cable and about 4 channels are in English. Cinemax and FX are always in English and some of the other 20 channels are in English with Spanish subtitles some of the time. So Far I've watched Jaws, The Running Man and lots of Law and Order, so its good to see that the best of American culture is represented in South America.
The staff here has been nothing short of amazing. None of them speak much English but considering we are in their country, the amount of English they attempt to accomodate us makes them sound like Shakespeare. They have helped us every day ordering breakfast in the lobby, Fruit, friut juice, muffins , eggs with ham and cheese and the best coffee I've ever had. In the evening they help us get some exotic local fare for dinner such as take out pizza, take out chicken and fries, take out hamburgers and another kind of take out pizza. They clean our room whenevever we leave, bring us the stroller whenever we go out and always smile and play with Sofia.
The other thing that felt like home was the toilet paper dispenser in our bathroom. Its bolted to the wall and is more akin to a napkin dispenser than a roll of toilet paper but is says right on the front Kimberly Clark. The Pride of Neenah Wisconsin. You can travel half way around the world but you're never too far from home in the end.
Happy Easter, Paul

2 comments:

  1. I used to live in Neenah, and everywhere I go now, whenever I see the manhole covers from Neenah Foundry or Kimberly Clark on something, I have happy thoughts too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to comment on the sleep situation or lack of it,,, Welcome to fatherhood Crowley. Pete

    ReplyDelete