Wednesday, April 15, 2009











here are some pictures from my walk. Below is a common sight, the security wall that has broken bottles set in the top.

Today When Erin and Sofia took a nap I went out for a walk. My goal was to buy some boxer shorts . I went to a number of stores and couldn't find any and with my lack of Spanish I have to rely mostly on a bizzare combination of sign language and poor Spanish. Usually this works okay but with underwear I was afraid I might end up arrested or engaged. So I kept walking and drinking a bottle of Postobon, a local pop that is tasty and fruit flavored. In no time at all I was completly lost, wich is no great feat for me considering I can get lost in Oshkosh while driving. I ended up wandering around in a not so nice neighborhood for about an hour or so. I don't leave the hotel after dark per the owners recomendation but I've yet to feel uncomfortable or threatened here in any way. Thanks to good American nutrition I have a good 3 or 4 inches in height on most people here. And thanks to bad American nutrition I have a good 30 or 40 pounds on most people here. Besides that no one seems to pay any attention here to me. I've been in situations in San Diego, Chicago, Milwaukee , and in Beloit where I grew up that were much more uncomfortable than anything here. Store owners have been very helpful if not a bit amused at my attempts to purchase any manner of things. Yesterday I went out to buy some calomine lotion for Sofia as she seems to have a small skin rash. I walked down town to Alcosto, wich is somewhat akin to Sams Club back home. Before I left I wrote down a mangled phrase from our phrase book that I hoped said " My daughter has a skin rash." When I showed it to two employees they looked at each other and then me somewhat skepctically. So then I broke out my sign language by putting my hand down by my knee palm down and said "la nina" and scratched my arm. They both laughed and one of them motioned for me to follow him. I was a little worried that they were leading me to the bananas thinking that I had a hungry monkey, but they led me right to the calomine lotion.

Then on the way home I found a 10,000 peso bill on the ground wich is about 4 dollars. Score two for me.

But on my walk today being very lost , yet I doubt more than a mile from the hotel, I had to go to the bathroom really bad (too much Postobon). I had seen this here before and saw it 3 times today, guys just turn towards the nearest building, or fence and let go. One guy I didn't even realize was taking a leak until I was about 2 feet away on the sidewalk. When I looked up and realized he just gave me a nonchalant " Buenos Dias". I didn't know where I was and public restrooms are... well I guess they are wherever you happen to be. Unfortunately for me my modest Midwestern upbringing ruled that out as an option.

Finally I found the mall that was near our hotel and ran in thinking they must have a public bathroom. Sure enough they did and just as surely the bathroom was locked. I was only about 5 blocks from our hotel but only about 2 blocks away from wetting my pants. So I ran across the street to a bar I had seen before. I ordered a beer as fast as I could and the lady working led me upstairs and sat me at a table. I thought if i needed to use the bathroom the least I could do was buy a beer. She went back down stairs for what felt like a year and finnally came back up with my beer at which point I probably shouted "Bano Por Favor". She kindly led me downstairs to the bathroom, after which I took some pictures and went happily back to the hotel.

I also keep forgetting to thank our friends the Andres, Troy, Dawneen, Olivia and Ella. They helped us out with getting the laptop computer we have been using to post all of this. Sofia has been watching Dora the Explorer and Sesame St. before bed every night and I don't know what we would have done without it.

Enjoy your readily available public restrooms, Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment